Ron's Art Collection



My Uncle Ron is a collector.  He is also truly quite amazing in his outlook on life and what we do with the things in our own back yard.

Ron can see art in anything, and can turn anything into a work of art.  I have seen a tree stump carted back to Ron's farm, turned upside down with the roots sticking out like unruly hair.  This was converted into a planter.  The impact was quite remarkable.  But then, such things have to be viewed with an entirely different attitude toward what constitutes art.


In a recent visit to Ron's I took a few photos of farming implements and bits of machinery that are lying around.  And there really is a lot lying around.  But ask Ron what he has in his collection and I'm quite sure that he will tell you, after a bit of thought, where it is, where he got it from, and what his intentions were for how he was going to use it.


To most eyes it would look like a collection of unused junk.  To Ron it is possibilities, potential, and pleasure.

For me with a camera, I was able to close out most of the background and make the pictures that I saw as art.  A different approach, but one that wouldn't have been possible if the items I snapped had been in a different setting.  When looking at his yard, I am sure Ron sees each individual item, not just a massive collection of bits and pieces.


Art truly is in the eye of the beholder.