Labor Day Weekend 2011

Phew, look at the date on that last post. And if you think that's a long time ago, imagine how my camera felt when it was taken out of its bag for the first time in about three years. Surprised? And I was surprised, too, because the battery was still charged. Good on ya Nikon!

My friend, Robin of Redbook Photography, invited me to join him on the June long weekend when he took photos at a belly dancing event. Thrilled at being given the opportunity to try low light photography, I eagerly accepted. Robin advised me that each routine incorporated momentary pauses in movement that would let me get an in-focus shot, but that the pauses are hard to pick. And with the camera set to manual, I would have to be patient to get it right.

No, patience is NOT my middle name. And of the three hundred odd photos I took that night, not too many came out focussed. Here are a few of the pictures that made my pick list.






Camera settings were ISO1600, f5.6 at 1/60th sec on a Nikon D70 with 70 ~ 300mm zoom lens at various focal lengths.